Monday, August 30, 2021

Our Pilgrimage -- #41 - Ten Virgins

I had another amazing time with my heavenly Father today!

I usually start out each walk asking my Father to speak to me and show me what He has for me that day.

Today wasn't much different, but this time I focused on a paraphrase of a blessing I got from my Father a while back.  The prayer/blessing goes like this:

May God give you:

  • -   Ears to hear and eyes to see what He wants you to know
  • -   A heart and a mind to feel and perceive what He wants you to be
  • -   Hands and feet to do what He commands

In my prayer this morning I particularly ask God to not just see and hear cool stuff, but to know HIM!

Then, the first interesting thing happened.  Almost immediately after uttering the prayer, a swarm of flies attacked me.  I spent about a minute swatting them and then realized it was a partial answer to my prayer.  So, I said out loud to God, "You funny man!"  Almost immediately after saying that, the flies disappeared.  I then ask God to give me the interpretation of what happened.  So far, He hasn't.

However, then, the second amazing thing happened.  I was walking facing traffic on a narrow two lane county road.  I heard a vehicle coming up behind me in the other lane.  Since the road was so narrow, I kept an eye on him.  Once the driver came alongside me, he asked me if I needed a ride.  I told him “Thanks, but I am walking across Texas.”  He replied, “Oh, okay”, then drove away.  He got about 50 yards ahead of me, then hit the brakes and backed up to me.  He then asked, "You are doing what? Why?”  I told him that I was doing it to encourage people to get ready for Jesus' return.  His reply was, "Wow!  I was just thinking about God.”  He then told me that he was the virgin bride.  Then, with me standing in the middle of the road and him blocking traffic, we briefly discussed the Parable of the Ten Virgins.

1 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take along any extra oil. 4 But the wise ones took oil in flasks along with their lamps. 5 When the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
6 At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’
7 Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’
9 ‘No,’ said the wise ones, ‘or there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’
10 But while they were on their way to buy it, the bridegroom arrived. Those who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet, and the door was shut.
11 Later the other virgins arrived and said, ‘Lord, lord, open the door for us!’
12 But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I do not know you.’
13 Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour. 
-- Matthew 25.1-13 (BSB)

I freely admit, that I don't understand all the ins and out of this parable.  However, there are a few things that seem obvious:

  1. There were ten virgins waiting for the bridegroom
  2. Five of the ten were wise and the other five were not.
  3. Those who were ready went in with the bridegroom
  4. Once the door was shut, all opportunities are lost
  5. We are commanded to "keep watch"
  6. The most important observation ... having a personal relationship with Jesus is key to having our lamps full of oil!

The sun is setting!
Night is coming!
Are you ready for Jesus' return?
Are you keeping watch?

Walking deets:

  • Continued north bound on US 281 to about a mile north of Hico, TX
  • This walk: Dist: 12.68 km; Time: 3+03; Steps: 14,547
  • Total: Dist: 489.76 km; Time: 110+46; Steps: 589,591
  • Miles from home = 194
  • Miles to Wichita Falls, TX = 150
  • Miles to Texas / Oklahoma border = 165
  • Miles to Canada = 1393

Social Media Links:

  • http://www.tenminas.net
  • www.facebook.com/10MinaMan
  • www.linkedin.com/in/budabbott
  • twitter.com/TenMinasNetwork
  • www.instagram.com/ten_minas


No comments: