Saturday, August 21, 2021

Our Pilgrimage -- #36 - Flee to the Mountains




I have walked over 1/2 million steps since I started this pilgrimage on 2021.04.26!

I encountered more hills and steeper hills on this hike, than previous ones.  According to one of the apps I use, OsmAnd, the steepest grade was 14% and the maximum elevation change was 239 feet.  Compared to some of the trails I have done in Washington, Oregon and Idaho, this was nothing.  But it did provide fodder for a blog.

Over the last few days, there have been news stories about people in Afghanistan fleeing the Taliban into the mountains.  I am guessing that their "hike" was not as enjoyable as mine.  I am also guessing that the mountains in Afghanistan to which they are fleeing are closer to the Cascades in the NW US than the hills in central Texas.

The two photos included with this blog are of the same hill, but from different points of view and different perspectives; much like comparing my hike today with those fleeing in Afghanistan or those in the great tribulation.

In His discussion of the end-time, Jesus describes a situation like that going on in Afghanistan.  

"So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination of desolation,’ described by the prophet Daniel (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains." [Matthew 24.15-16 (BSB)]

However, Jesus goes on to say:

How miserable those days will be for pregnant and nursing mothers! Pray that your flight will not occur in the winter or on the Sabbath. For at that time there will be great tribulation, unmatched from the beginning of the world until now, and never to be seen again. If those days had not been cut short, nobody would be saved. But for the sake of the elect, those days will be cut short. [Matthew 24.19-22 (BSB)]

So, although the situation in Afghanistan is horrible, the great tribulation will be much worse!

There is a lot I don't understand about the Bible's teaching on the end-times.  I am looking for some people to join me in studying the book of Revelation via Zoom.  FYI, I am not looking for a teacher or a commentary.  I want to dig into the Bible with a group of peers. Let me know if this interests you.

Walking deets:
  • Continued north bound on US 281 to about 4.5 miles south of Evant, TX
  • This walk: Dist: 15.34 km; Time: 3+31; Steps: 18,608
  • Total: Dist: 415.83 km; Time: 94+10; Steps: 501,651
  • Miles from home = 160
  • Miles to Wichita Falls, TX = 192
  • Miles to Texas / Oklahoma border = 208
  • Miles to Canada = 1436

Social Media Links:

  • http://www.tenminas.net
  • www.facebook.com/10MinaMan
  • www.linkedin.com/in/budabbott
  • twitter.com/TenMinasNetwork
  • www.instagram.com/ten_minas


No comments: